Sunday's Best

Sunday, September 6, 2009

The area that I've lived in all my life- especially my hometown, is not one known for stylish people. Most of what you will find in the closets of the average teen or young adult will be mainstream brands, those that you can find at the nearest mall. Vintage style is especially not a common sight. I guess that's what would explain the rather rude comments I received while walking around in my Mom's old graduation dress today. "Look at that girl, it looks like she's going to church" (etc.) It's not necessarily the words that were rude because, quite frankly, the dress is modest and church-like (and that's what most vintage items are like), it was the connotation, the rude snickering that was unnecessary. And although I will admit that I felt the surge of red paint my cheeks, I quickly got over it when it crossed my mind just how naive those people were. And then it was I who was laughing because at least I have the broader perception of clothing, timeless vintage style and the understanding of the wonderful capability of being different.

Perfect example of how narrow minded my hometown is and perfect example of why I know I don't want to center my life around this area in the future.
So as "church going" as this makes me look, here is my Sunday's best.
And I couldn't be more proud.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dress is vintage, earrings from F21, lace purse is vintage (won at a giveaway hosted by Love Charles Vintage), shoes from TJ Maxx, belt is vintage.

21 comments:

Anonymous,  September 6, 2009 at 11:27 PM  

I think you look gorgeous + if the people in your town cant see that, then it's their loss! its great that you didnt let it get to you!! x

I V Y September 7, 2009 at 1:01 AM  

amazing outfit! the dress and clutch are simply amazing.

Sher September 7, 2009 at 6:06 AM  

You shouldn't be bothered with them because you look darling! The dress is so dainty-like and these pictures capture your beauty perfectly:)

Oh and I'm coveting your lace purse!

~h~ September 7, 2009 at 6:26 AM  

It can't be worse than Iowa.
That being said, you look like model material. Tres jolie. Youth at it's finest on a Sunday afternoon. Your mother was a smart lady to keep that dress.

maryse September 7, 2009 at 7:45 AM  

the light in your photos are amazing! love your earings!

nicole mountz September 7, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

i loooove that dress! and you're beautiful. my hometown isnt as small..but it's definitely not into fashion. most teens/young adults wear american eagle, abercrombie and fitch..the surfer styles. but whenever i go to nyc i love just letting loose and wearing whatever i please. you're right, those people just dont know good fashion ;)

yiqin; September 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM  

So beautiful~ The sun shining on you :D

Anonymous,  September 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

looks like the perfect time of day to take photos! i love the earrings

Becca September 7, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

I love your vintage style! And I too, hate narrow minded people. I'm glad you realized that their opinions don't matter at all. You looked fabulous, and I especially love the handbag! Some people are just scared of anything too different, but props to you! keep dancing to the beat of your own drum. :)

Unknown September 7, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

you rock the vintage look girl.. forget what those people say. im glad not everyone is mainstreaming it with the same style! be you! :)

E September 7, 2009 at 8:37 PM  

beautiful beautiful photos! And your accessories look phenomenal with this dress - genius!

Elaine September 7, 2009 at 9:41 PM  

You look amazing! Love everything about this outfit! You pull off vintage style very well.
clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Amy P. September 8, 2009 at 2:00 AM  

You look beautiful and the colors on that dress are so soft and lovely. Mm I'm glad you didn't let their comments get under your skin! It can be hard to remember that your opinion matters most, that you are in your individual greatness... when people are staring or making rude comments. As long as you feel good and comfortable, nothing else matters! And the only way to know your own style is to experiment!

I once wore my mother's pink 80s dress and white tights to school. A guy asked me if I had lost a bet. Pretty rude. I blushed, but I did my best to be firm and replied that I chose to dress like that because I wanted to.

C September 8, 2009 at 4:13 AM  

Love the outfit and the wonderful site for your photoshoot!!

cody September 8, 2009 at 10:04 AM  

love your dress.looks so vintage.
great blog.
xx cody

codyjune.blogspot.com

Anonymous,  September 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM  

that dress is completely fabulous.
and my neighbor JUST gave me that exact belt! she had it in a trunk of old clothes and didn't want it. how funny.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse September 9, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

This is so pretty.
P.S. Congrats on your 50th post above.

Pj September 10, 2009 at 12:35 PM  

That lace purse is something special. Very beautiful photos and love the outfit!

Candycane September 23, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

You look gorgeous - I know it's nerve racking sometimes walking out in clothes YOU want to wear and not be a sheep but you realy do look good :D

Zhcsyra hp September 24, 2009 at 12:29 AM  

love the first pictr is my fave,.
nice poser raawrr :DDDD

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP