A Fall Dress & 13 Candles

Saturday, September 19, 2009

I'm pretending like it's not scorching outside. I'm ignoring the hot rays on my face and the horrible red sunburn on my chest. So although I've been saving this dress for more bearable weather, I decided that yesterday was a good day to pull it out of my closet since it was my brother and dad's birthday celebration. I plan on reinventing the dress later on in the cooler days of October but for the 95+ degree whether at the moment, this will have to do.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dress: Forever 21
Jean Jacket: local clothing shop
Tights: Simply Vera for Kohls
Shoes: Target
Hidden earrings: gift from Brazil

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My brother, Derek, officially turns thirteen today.
Although we have our quarrels (like many other brothers and sisters) I think we are relatively close- well at least compared to other siblings I know. It's been a wonderful experience to see him grow up. Being five years older then him, I think I have somewhat of a good concept of all his years of life. I remember when my mom was in the hospital in labor: the waiting, the long hours, my grandma sitting next to me. What I don't remember too well but have the pictures and stories from my family to prove, is how I was infuriated that he was not a girl. I knew this ahead of time but for some reason when I saw him I grew angry. "Who would play barbies with me?", I thought. (It turns out he would play with me, just not in the manner I would have originally thought).
Growing up, I collected a number of beautiful memories surrounding my brother. Some of my favorites include:
1. Little Derek sitting on the kitchen floor taking pots and pans out of a bottom cupboard. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "I'm looking for myself."
2. Little Derek running out of the bathroom naked and trying to hide from Mom because he didn't want to take a shower.
3. Countless, and I mean countless hours of watching Telletubbies with him.
4. Trying to get semi trucks to honk their horn while signaling them with his broken arm in its bright red cast while we were on the freeway.
5. Not so little Derek wanting to let his hair grow out "skater style".
6. Waking up a couple weeks ago and being in shock of how it seemed he grew at least half an inch over night.
7. Derek going through loads of trouble to try and help me make origami paper cranes.
8. Appreciating my brother for the young man he is becoming and all the wonderful possibilities he has in front of him.

I realize I'm going on and on about my brother, but if any of you have siblings you dearly love I think you'll be able to relate. Either way, I just want to wish my brother a wonderful Happy Birthday and many, many more beautiful years of life.

22 comments:

claradevi September 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

That's such a beautiful story. I adore your relationship with your brother, as I also have a little sister that I so much care about! I think we're lucky to have siblings who grew up together with us... The memories are just too precious to be forgotten. I'm happy you share this story with everyone... Happy Wonderful Birthday for Derek! And let him know that it's a fortune to have such a loving sister like you. :)

yiqin; September 20, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

The vest goes wit the dress so perfectly.

~h~ September 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM  

Adoration is love at it's finest. Your brother is very lucky to have such a loving sister.
And you make me wish I was 18 again. Which is a good thing. I spent so much of my youth clamouring to be old that it's now depressing to finally arrive and wish I was young(er) again. ;)
With that, keep photographing your pretty clothes. You should start a fashion blog as well. I think it would do well. I hope this finds you well on a sunny Sunday...

Anonymous,  September 20, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

I love your dress + it looks gorgeous with the burnt orange tights. Oh, arent brothers amazing - my younger brother just moved in with me + I love him to bits! He's the best! x

Sher September 20, 2009 at 7:23 PM  

Oh my dear, you look absolutely gorgeous in that floral dress, so perfectly paired with the vest and tights!

I loved reading your memories of little and not so little Derek, they're really beautiful memories. My younger brother is turning 21 tomorrow, still can't believe he's all grown up now! So hurrah for younger brothers and the little joys they bring to our life:)

Unknown September 20, 2009 at 8:31 PM  

happy birthday to your brother :) that's a lovely yard btw!

Κατερίνα September 20, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

Happy B-day to your brother!!!
Lovely dress!!

xx

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse September 20, 2009 at 9:14 PM  

This outfit is adorable; I love the addition of those colorful tights and jean vest.

trishie September 20, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

Love the outfit, esp the red tights!

t.g.s September 20, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

awwww
your brother's cute and he looks soooo much older than 13! haha
and i have that relationship with my brothers
i fight with them like a lot and i always feel like i hate them but really i couldn't imagine my life without them by my side

Kira Aderne September 21, 2009 at 6:39 AM  

Crystal!

You look beautiful and mysterious!
I do love how you matched the denim vest (fantastic!) with the sweet flower dress! I need to pick mine flower pieces for the season!
You really are an inspiration for me!
Thanks so much for everything girl!

Beth September 21, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

You looked really lovely that day, it just sucked about all those mosquitoes. Luckily i didnt get bitten, imagine that. lol i will never forget when you told me that your brother was looking for himself when you asked him what was he doin in between all of those pots. He's one hairy boy thats growing up even hairier, you know im kidding :)
I wish i could have gotten there earlier to the party so we could have spent more time together.

Kristin September 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM  

This dress is so pretty...I love how you styled it! I too have tried to rock the tights with dresses in 80-90 degree heat....I just cannot wait to change styles for the seasons!! I do this every time the season changes...I just can't wait to start wearing layers in fall, and I just cannot wait for more simplistic and flowy outfits in spring!

Amy P. September 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

Aw, you look cute. I love the red tights that just go POP.

And you made a tribute post to your brother! So sweet. :} I have two awesome sisters so I know how you can talk forever about them.

And use aloe vera religiously for that sunburn!

Elaine September 21, 2009 at 11:07 PM  

Thank you for posting about your and your brother's relationship! It's so beautiful! It makes me wish I were closer to my brother more! And you look so lovely in these pics. Love the dress! I'm a little jealous of your weather now that I've experienced the cold!
clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Diane September 22, 2009 at 1:02 AM  

Awww, such a cute post! I love point #1, in which your brother is "looking for himself" in the kitchen cupboards. That is so freaking adorable.

And those boys with their skater hair. Every young boy is going through that nowadays!

Also, I loooovvee that dress. The print is so great and you paired it well with the denim vest and bright tights!

Susan September 22, 2009 at 2:15 AM  

what a lovely post! I love bday celebrations :)
happy birthday to your loved ones. I have a little brother, too :)
I envy you... it's quite cold here already.
xoxo

Carmen September 22, 2009 at 7:29 AM  

Your hair colour is so pretty. I love the pictures. I adore the dress and waistcoat combination. Gorgeous outfit.

Carmen.xx.

Maria September 23, 2009 at 1:11 AM  

Oh, what a beautiful dress!! and the pics are so pretty!! kisses!

Candycane September 23, 2009 at 1:05 PM  

I love these pictures - you take a really good picture and look beautiful in them - I'm also loving all your floral dresses!

You look like Alexa Chung in the top pic!

Happy belated b'day to your bro!!

CC x

Friend in Fashion September 28, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

Love the outfit - you look fabulous + great photogrpahy!
x

Unknown September 30, 2009 at 4:02 AM  

Awesome photography.!! What a gorgeous fall outfit - I love it! I too have a similar dress which I got from Bealls.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP