Hush Little Baby

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Baby, tiny as a handful
You fit so neatly in the palms of my hands
Doe eyes, porcelain skin and silken strands on your marshmallow top
That I admire each golden morning as it glistens near the rising tributary
Your eyes melt into the rippling water and glisten when the shoreline touches your delicate ankles

Between the fall of the moon and the rise of the sun
You effortlessly slid through my freckled arms and crawled somniferously to the ascending bank
Small body in a trance, curiosity glowing like the moonlight on your tender skin
And as I lay sleeping, dreaming of your warm breath on the curve of my breast
Your body, in rapid gulps, was swallowed by the speeding currents

I heard your weeping call and frantically ran to each corner of the house
Emptiness hung in each room and softly called out to the rising trickle of the river
So I ran to it unaware that my bare feet left droplets of blood on the sharpened twigs that lay fallen on the earth
And despite my rapid movements, I was too late for the river took your faster then it took my breath

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Only the deer will see you now
As you travel down the muddy banks of the river
And although the river took you faster then it took my breath
It forgot to take my tears- my tears that are mine to drown in
Falling like waterfalls and causing currents to ride up my crimson-stained feet

I cry in deep torrents and watch the water ride up my shaken body
Engulfing my pores and restricting my limbs
Each tear that crashes around me another reminder that you're sailing further
I cry harder, deeper, stronger and the unrelenting current builds up and takes me away
As it follows the echos of your shaken cries

Now we're both sailing on the platform of our backs
Keep your head above the water for the deer will watch over you
And the water will cradle you and become my freckled arms
Sweet baby, wipe away the tears on your lashes
For I will be there to hum lullabies in your ear soon

Image and video  hosting by TinyPic

© Crystal Ball

Picture credits: 1, 2, 3

12 comments:

Ollie Otson February 23, 2010 at 11:24 PM  

That was horrifying and mesmerizing at the same time. Drowning is my all-time greatest fear, and these pictures haunt me so much I can barely look at them.

You definitely have a way with words, my dear.

kelly ann February 23, 2010 at 11:40 PM  

this is so haunting and absolutely terrifying... yet totally incredible. you are so talented, love.

Susan February 24, 2010 at 2:44 AM  

gorgeous... this gave me the goosebumps.
xoxo

Noelle Chantal February 24, 2010 at 7:42 AM  

beautiful words and wonderful photos. yes, it does gave me goosebumps too. inspiring post. thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous,  February 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM  

wow, lovely words!

Liz February 24, 2010 at 5:50 PM  

Oh i love these pictures! How did you take them?

C'est La Vie February 25, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

wow, I'm torn between feelings right now. beautiful and terrifying...

trishie February 25, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

You write beautifully...this piece is haunting.

Christina February 25, 2010 at 10:53 PM  

You are so poetically talented! Keep up the great work!

Grant-Grey Guda March 1, 2010 at 5:37 AM  

This truly has so much emotion. It says so much and so beautifully well done. I had to read it a few times because it was so good and thanks for the compliment for my poem "Honey Sweet" I truly appreciated it!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP