The Abscence Of

Friday, August 7, 2009



Once upon a time I used to have long, long hair. It was magical and everlasting. I would run my fingers through it and it would never seem to end. It provided me warmth in the winter, a sanctuary when I wanted to inhale softly and think of pretty words and a hiding spot when tears escaped my eyes. I would wear it down wherever I went, no matter the weather and always made sure to comb it with extra caution before laying down to dream at night. Sometimes I would braid a little section and pin it behind my ear. I was like a free spirit walking around with my hair flowing behind me and my flowy dresses and my almost bare feet. But then there came a time when my life turned to shades of gray. Life became harder and the realities of loss soaked into every pore of me. Eventually, they crawled into every strand of my long hair. I became desperate; I wanted so much to feel lightness, to shed away the mournful layer that had attached to my being. So I decided a pair of sharp scissors would fix everything and before I knew it, I was light as a feather. But now I miss the strands that would drape around me. I run my fingers through my hair and before I even reach my shoulders I find bitter air that nestles between the crevices of shoulders. I sit down and envy the fairies and the mermaids whose locks of gold and silver sweep past their shoulders and dance around their bodies.
I want my hair to grow, grow, grow.
I miss you hair. Please grow again so that I can hide between locks, so that I can run my fingers through the golden strands and never have to stop.

15 comments:

Amy P. August 7, 2009 at 10:58 PM  

You are gorgeous. Your hair is..was.. too. It will grow, but it will mean something different. ;}

Beautiful ode to hair.

and captchas choose silly letter arrangements.

Sweet Spectre August 7, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

I agree that you're gorgeous and this is beautiful. I know exactly how you feel. I miss my hair so much too, I did the exact same thing.

Mairyliscious August 8, 2009 at 2:06 AM  

i am waiting for my hair to grow too!!
i feel you !! :)

yiqin; August 8, 2009 at 5:05 AM  

Ah I know how you feel. I was so upset when I cut my hair too :/

Anonymous,  August 8, 2009 at 6:49 AM  

i completely understand. i chopped off 10 inches last year and i've been waiting patiently...

evelyn August 8, 2009 at 9:00 AM  

i thought that was someone else at first but it is you huh? =D
aww pretty hair ^^ i am waiting for mines to grow too. i hardly ever keep my hair long but i want to try it this time. =0

Isabel August 8, 2009 at 9:48 AM  

Ahhh, sometimes I miss my long hair too. But I think I look much better with short hair.

Laura Mullins August 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

hahah, i love this post! and i love how someone called it, "an ode to hair"

i hope your hair does grow quickly! (:

Amelia August 8, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

This is so beautiful. I think a lot of people think of cutting off their hair as cutting off the past.

~h~ August 8, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

I can relate to this. In college, I shaved off all of my hair and looked like Sinead O'Conner. Only not so striking or beautiful, if you know what I mean. But your hair will grow back! And possibly be even prettier. Mine grew back twice as thick. I hope your weekend is fairing well and thanks so much for stopping by my poetry blog. Take care. ~h

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse August 8, 2009 at 8:29 PM  

Aw, I know that feeling. I cut more than 10 inches off a little over a year ago and I'm still working on getting it back!

Sara August 9, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

The never-ending tug-of-war. I think every girl goes through this problem. I've never cut my hair short and liked it for more than a month. Once the growing out process starts, all we do is crave the long locks all over again. But change is good from time to time! Lovely photos :)

NicRTV (陳亞任) August 9, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

Hi!!I'm a follower now...Thanks for dropping by my blog...yup,for audrey is a really pretty "tifanny box" like color..I believe u can look for it at Ulta or Sally's...

I really like both ur blogs...I also am really into photography though I'm not that good yet and am so interested on your project 365...

Saskia August 10, 2009 at 6:13 AM  

I know how you feel. I have always had long hair, but a couple of years ago I cut it into a bob. I kind of liked it but also was upset and missed my long hair at the same time. It surprises me just how attached I am to my long hair.

Saskia x

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP