Eighteenth Summer

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

When life was simpler and I was more spherical (goodness, I crack myself up). Oh and that expression on my face is my signature "sun face". I still do it to this day, squinting eyes and all.


When I was younger each day, each new school year, my entire life basically, seemed to be stuck in between "play" and "slow motion". I clearly remember day dreaming about how life would be when I was older. As soon as I started high school everything began colliding and the leisured pace that I had been accustomed to took a dramatic turn. It was as if somebody had pushed the fast forward button and before I knew it I was skipping away from the Principal when he gave me my diploma and back to my jittery and excited fellow class-mates who stood in their long purple cap and gowns with their glittering diploma and bright futures in hand. I'm not nostalgic, at least not entirely. I miss certain things of my past, friendships that are now broken and overall things that were much simpler and not drowned in the complexity that growing up coats them in. A lot has happened this summer and a lot hasn't. I've developed the inner parts of me: my thoughts, my virtues and the way I see certain aspects of life. The majority, if not all of the people who read my blog, are not people who know me personally. I've chosen this for so many reasons, some being more personal than others. This blog has provided a haven for me, one in which I can not only easily share my likes and anticipations but also one in which I can get a way from my past. I guess that's what this summer has been about for me. I've contributed a lot more to my blog, started my Project 365, written verse, photographed whatever I found appealing and whoever let me and, in reality, I've distanced myself from the majority of the people I was once so close to. I see this as a way of growing up. High school and all the years before that have helped shape me, mold me, and now I'm sitting here on my couch, freshly eighteen and with a heavy mixture of feelings and I'm more ready then ever to reach my fullest potential. Below is a semi sugarcoated summary of what this summer has been like. I'm desperately looking forward to Autumn; there's just something about the thought of falling leaves that's highly attractive right now. Alright, that and also because I have this amazing gray coat in my closet I'm dying to wear.

The better part of my summer includes: good music, ripe fruit, bare feet, books, clear skies, picture-taking, and sparkly light.

What has your summer been like? Have you experienced anything new? Let me know, I'm always interested in reading other people's thoughts.

With tons of love and good wishes for your future,



2 comments:

Amy P. August 5, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

Aw you look so cute with your blue dress and bonnet. Toddler photos, ahh.

I understand what anonymous expression can do for a person. I think it can help strengthen your voice; it did for me for a while.

Did I tell you I love your photos? They are beautiful with dreamy like colors that I wish to surround myself in. Great way to capture summer.

My summer has been one of the more focused ones I've had. I've made firm decisions on more things. I usually let my goals fall to the wayside. I think I am truly appreciating the wonders of life. I'm so terribly excited!

Sylvia August 6, 2009 at 9:16 AM  

That picture of you is just so so adorable! I know what you mean about a lot of the things you said. I haven't even graduated high school but already I feel as if I've zoomed through the past couple of years. And I'm excited for fall as well. It's time for the crisp weather and the air to change. My summer? It now involves waitressing at a nursing home, swimming in the evenings, watching The Office season 2 on DVD, eating chocolate mints, and trying to get AP US work done and out of the way.
P.S Thanks for your comment!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP