Paris, Je T'aime

Wednesday, July 1, 2009


Scene from Paris, Je'Taime
(Image courtesy of DVD Beaver
)


I've spent the last couple of days drowning my soul in all things French. This latest obsession Isn't out of the blue, however. I've always had a strong connection to the beauty of all things French: the people, the country, the architecture, the fashion, the love. So in honor of my reawakened obsession, here is a brief list of all things French. J'espère que vous l'aimez! (I hope I said that right)



Films/Actors:
  • For a great "love at first sight" view on all things French watch the phenomenal movie Paris Je T'aime . It was the first French film I've recently watched and it was the perfect dose to keep me wanting more.
  • A more emotional film is The Diving Bell and the Butterfly based on Le Scaphandre et le Papillon, an autobiography of a severely ill former Elle magazine editor. The movie inspired me and left a huge imprint on the way I see life.
  • But perhaps the most beautiful French film that I have seen, to date, has been La Vie Est Belle. This film, based on the life of the singer Edith Piaf, was so incredibly brilliant in every way possible. The music, the cinematography, the acting. I fell head over heels in love with Marion Cotillard, the actress who portrays Edith Piaf in the film. You can read her biography here. Once I finished the movie, I sat and thought hard and came to the conclusion that she just might be my number one favorite actress of all time.
  • Another wonderful film is A Very Long Engagement or Un Long Dimanche de Fiancailles. By watching this movie I fell in love with Gasapard Ulliel and Audrey Tautou (otherwise made famous by the popular French film Amelie) and I further fell in love with French love. Oh, France and it's sweet, sweet drug-like effects.
Music:
  • Of course, Edith Piaf has to be number one. I had heard of her before and had thought her to have a beautiful voice (I think it's impossible not to think so) but I never had the ability to really appreciate her music until I saw the film La Vie Est Belle.
  • Madeleine Peyroux is absolutely wonderful. Although she is not a native of France, her French songs are so beautiful.
  • Carla Bruni has been one of my favorite for a while now.
Blogger:
  • A very well known and liked blogger (who just happens to be French) is The Cherry Blossom Girl. One look at her blog and she'll have you wishing you were French.
There are SO many more wonderful films, actors, musicians, bloggers, etc. that I can go on ranting about for days on end, but I think I should wrap up this list. Hopefully you found it useful and if you weren't suffering from French addiction already, don't be surprised if it starts soon. After all, this is one addiction I don't mind having. With Love, Crystal.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP