How to save a life

Friday, July 31, 2009

There are hundreds upon hundreds of patients who wait for a bone marrow transplant each year. Many of them wait until they become so ill, they pass away. A bone marrow transplant benefits patients like those who suffer from cancer, especially those who have lost bone marrow due to radiation & chemo procedures. There are not enough people who donate bone marrow and there are too many people whose life depend on a donation. No, the procedure is not painful but it is said to be painful afterward. I personally shudder at the though of hospitals, being operated and any form of unfamiliar pain (I'm such a baby) although there is an alternative to operation in bone marrow donation. Regardless of the thought that pain will most likely be involved, the separate thought that I can donate and save someone, especially the thought that I could save a child who would otherwise have no chance of living has determined me to write this conclusion: I will be a bone marrow donor. I dunno when, I dunno how yet to tell you the truth, but I will be a donor. If you would like to read more information on bone marrow donation, click here.

Below is a little girl whose life depends on a bone marrow transplant. It breaks my heart to see her little face and to think that her little body needs what mine doesn't. Click here to read her story.

2 comments:

Amelia August 2, 2009 at 11:12 AM  

This is such a sweet post. I love it when bloggers raise awareness like this.

Amy P. August 2, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

That is great that you are overcoming your fear in order to help others. :}

I have decided I am going to donate bone marrow someday, just not sure when yet. Probably in a year when I will be 18 and have time to recover during summer.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP